02 January 2016

Psalm 138



I haven't written anything in awhile. My devotions and personal studies seems to be taking up most of my time. Besides, I unashamedly admit I simply do not have the brain power to take on too many projects. The Lord has not gifted me in this way.  It’s not an excuse, it is just the way I am. As the apostle Paul wrote, ‘I am want I am by the grace of God’.

Anyway, I thought I might post this brief psalm by King David.
 
Lately God has blessed me with encouragement and has caused me to praise Him through his word.

You know, I sometimes think about these so called “New Age, Pop Psychologist Gurus” who seem to have it all together. They go around the country and preached “self-help” or “self-improvement” seminars. People pay a lot of money for their books and to hear what they have to say.  I suppose it’s not all bad. I’m sure in some things they can offer some good, practical advice.

However, when it comes to real joy and things needful to the soul, I cannot think of anything more gratifying than the word of God. 

In the Westminster Confession of Faith, in sec. 1.5 it says: 

1:5 We may be moved and induced by the testimony of the Church to a high and reverent esteem of the Holy Scripture. 1Tim 3:15.  And the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, the majesty of the style, the consent of all the parts, the scope of the whole (which is, to give all glory to God), the full discovery it makes of the only way of man’s salvation, the many other incomparable excellencies, and the entire perfection thereof, are arguments whereby it doth abundantly evidence itself to be the Word of God: yet notwithstanding, our full persuasion and assurance of the infallible truth and divine authority thereof, is from the inward work of the Holy Spirit bearing witness by and with the Word in our hearts. (Isa 59:21; John16:13, John16:14;1Co2:10-12; 1Jn2:20, 1Jn2:27).

Other Christian authors may write they will about God, the doctrine of salvation, of sin, or maybe even a good commentary, but it is the Holy Spirit which takes the things of God and reveals them to our hearts. It is the Spirit which causes us to rejoice, or if need be, to tremble at its threatening that we may be warned or chastised for our own good. I prayed last night before bed that the Lord would encourage me. I believe He honored my request this morning by this psalm. I pray it does the same for you. 

                         I will praise thee with my whole heart:
Before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.

                         I will worship toward thy holy temple,
And praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth:
For thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

                         3  In the day when I cried thou answeredst me,
And strengthenedst me with strength in my soul.

                         All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O Lord,
When they hear the words of thy mouth.

                         Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the Lord:
For great is the glory of the Lord.

                         Though the Lord be high, yet ihath he respect unto the lowly:
But the proud he knoweth afar off.

                         Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me:
Thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies,
And thy right hand shall save me.

                         The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me:
Thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: Forsake not the works of thine own hands.

   



[1] The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Ps 138:1–Ps 139). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Real Villains of Climate Change

For a while there I thought my addiction to that wonderful brew, coffee, was the real felon in global warming. After all, my coffee maker ...